Modern buildings are more and more technically advanced system and proper design of such a system is the challenge for future engineers. But we are not thinking only about the houses but the whole city, i.e. built environment which is healthy, energy-efficient, unpolluted, silent, safety and friendly. All these aspects should be considered when we are talking about smart building or city. And the challenge for the engineers of the future is to properly design and maintain the built environment. If you want to become a designer of the future you should choose this course. Please remember, one of the jobs that could save the planet is “simulation engineer”. Why, because using a simulation technique you can easily predict the future.
We offer a fully English course “Energy Systems in the Built Environment”. The program was developed based on the British standards. Each of the three semesters are dedicated for different aspects. Semester 1 covers the generic subjects, just “talk and chalk”, the 2 semester consists only from two huge interdisciplinary projects, and finally, the last semester is assigned for diploma study. Why our course is unique and worth to be considered? First, the studied problems are very close to practical/industrial applications second, we are supported by academics from foreign countries, and the third we offer very flexible program on the 2nd and 3rd semester.
I. Buildings Smarter & Closer to Energy Efficiency
If you are interested in matters related to:
1. Modern and energy-efficient buildings, and modern test and analysis methods concerning the energy efficiency of buildings;
2. Innovative solutions pertaining to smart buildings and cities, modern materials and technologies, and systems intended to improve the energy efficiency of buildings;
3. Modern solutions and technologies intended for smart cities, which live up to the requirements of sustainable development;
4. Renewable energy sources (i.e. solar radiation, wind and water) and possibilities of their use in a building or city;
5. Comfort of living and working in buildings and cities, and their impact on the surrounding environment;
6. Energy management, storage, control and distribution in buildings and cities;
7. Methods of acquiring energy in the future and effective forms of its conversion, storage and use;
8. Advanced, computer-aided methods of physical process analysis in buildings and methods of assessing the impact of buildings on the environment …
ESBE … because city living loves to be smarter!
… facing the challenges that contemporary cities, residential districts and buildings are up against, i.e.:
- 1. reduction of energy demand of buildings;
- 2. use of renewable energy sources;
- 3. comfort of inhabitants, alleviating the heat island effect;
- 4. air pollution and protection, including smog, secondary smog, low-stack emissions;
- 5. noise and light pollution etc.
II. Building and City Energy Systems – integrate, innovate and improve!
The challenges require knowledge, skills and practice acquired through education:
1. You will learn how to use modern computer simulation methods to calculate energy demand and the possibility of its generation using renewable energy sources. Classes will be held in the LabFactor building, which is the most modern facility of this kind, designed specifically for our students. Moreover, you will find out more about experimental systems constructed in life-size scale.
2. You will learn about supply technologies for buildings and whole residential districts in order for them to meet the criteria of nearly zero-energy and low emissions economy.
3. Besides our lecturers and industry experts, native speakers from the best technological universities in Europe will be your teachers. We follow the Anglo-Saxon Master’s class education model.
4. You will learn English for special purposes (technical and engineering vocabulary).
5. The knowledge you gain will let you participate in practical and creative real problem solving owing to Problem Based Learning and Design Thinking methods in a special DT laboratory. Moreover, you will learn internationally used tools for energy modelling and simulations in buildings and their complexes.
6. Based on the skills, methods and tools acquired, in Semester 2 you will solve different practical problems in interdisciplinary teams and propose specific technical and innovative solutions – this means a total of over 300 hours devoted to inspiring teamwork on problems related to the everyday design and operating practice of cities and buildings.
7. In Semester 3, you will work individually on a selected topic, inspired by previous classes, developing your knowledge and skills.
If you have an interesting idea for running your own business in the sector, you can take part in a pitch deck presentation and be subject to evaluation by specialists and entrepreneurs – this will certainly help you to establish your start up/spin off. You will also have the opportunity to present your ideas in a dedicated website, website gallery or industry fair.
ESBE clean energy for a sustainable future
ESBE will help you find an interesting job in Poland or abroad. On a local scale, one of the largest revitalisation projects in Eastern Europe is implemented in our city, Łódź. The city of Łódź will host one of the largest exhibitions in Polish post-war history, i.e. EXPO Horticultural 2024. The project has much in common with the scope of the studies. On both a community and global scale we have to respond to the challenge of reduced environmental impact for buildings and cities, which generate significant demand for global power resources.
Let’s make a change in the energy systems of our cities
Your knowledge and skills each semester will gradually become more unique and competitive against a traditional model of education, and you will stand out in the job market probably as early as during your master's thesis preparation. We are open to students' own initiatives, including dealing with issues you come across during training or previous professional experience. With our curriculum of studies you can solve your own practical problems taking important subsequent steps in your career. During your studies, we look forward to your ideas and problems being solved.
ESBE – smart design and management
The labour market opportunities are extremely promising. You will easily find a job in:
1. Companies providing consulting services on buildings and systems design, and power engineering consulting;
2. Modern civil engineering, systems and RES enterprises, companies dealing with energy audits, energy certification and energy conservation;
3. Estate developers, landlords and building structures managers;
4. Industry R&D centres; independent expert centres and NGOs which develop reports on environmental impact assessment, certifying organisations and organisations which establish standards and regulations concerning this branch of the economy;
5. Municipal and infrastructural companies;
6. You will be able to pursue your scientific career, moving on to doctoral studies in any field of science.
What distinguishes us from other universities:
– Unique curriculum of studies based on British models
– Active cooperation with the industry throughout the study period
– Participation of lecturers from foreign universities
– Studies in English (in EU countries there is a scarcity of well-trained engineers)
– Flexible curriculum, which enables the implementation of your ideas and passion as early as Semester 2.
ESBE – energy for future generations
To sum up – Dear student-to-be, in Semester 1 of your studies you will gain practical knowledge of power systems in cities and buildings and learn computer-aided methods of analysis and design. The classes take the form of lectures, practice sessions and labs. Once you have completed this stage, you will get a certificate which confirms the knowledge you have acquired. In Semester 2, you will use the knowledge to solve engineering problems by means of modern tools and methods. You will work in interdisciplinary teams towards solving the problems, and your ideas will be verified by industry experts. You will gain skills finding solutions to actual design tasks. If you complete this stage successfully, you will get a diploma which confirms the skills you have acquired. The final semester involves individual work on your diploma assignment on an agreed topic. You will graduate with a M.Sc., Eng. title upon completing your studies and defending your thesis.
Your efforts will certainly bear fruit while your satisfaction from participating in the global change in the construction and power-engineering sector will guarantee that your passion is fulfilled and that your creative POWER is channelled.
Check out also the study program
Download the leaflet in 3 versions / Ściągnij ulotkę w 3 wersjach: